Saturday, March 9, 2013

Pismo Beach

Finally got the gumption to leave my cozy little pioneer cabin on the hill in Carlsbad and head up north on the 101.  As expected, driving though LA was difficult.  Went up 5, west on 10, north on 405, and two hours later stopped for some gas in Aquora Hills off 101 North.  By the way, even though it looks like you are headed west off the 405 to get to 101, the highway sign are North to Ventura.  Its true what they say about the 405 -- avoid if you can! 

It was rainy and there were pockets of commuter traffic along the way.  But the beautiful ocean was to my left and the rolling green hills were to my right.  Can't beat the scenery in that part of the country.  Santa Barbara combines all of the romance of the Sonoma wine county with the beachy communities that dot the southern California coast.  When I hit the lottery . . . 

Finally pulled into Pismo Beach at 7 o'clock.  It was dark and rainy, so I didn't do any sightseeing.  Had planned on getting a room at Oxford Suites, which is right off the highway.  I could swear they had a deal I saw on the internet for $75 a night.  The receptionist said there was no such deal and too bad for me.  No biggie, there was new Hilton Garden Inn just on the opposite side of the highway.  They offered a pretty decent rate, and besides, I am an honors member so I got the perks.  Later the next day I looked around the little town and saw some very funky motels.  Maybe next time I'll check it out.
 
The next morning my hotel bill was $30 more than the rate they gave me at check-in.  The woman said yes, they have that rate, but no, they don't offer it at that hilton, but sometimes if someone calls someone and gets permission they offer it.  I did not appreciate the lip I got about it, She should have just said okay, our mistake.  I mean, I am a gold tier member and I stay at these hotels all the time!!!  Whatever, I'll never stay there again.
 
Poked around the little one-street town of Pismo Beach the next morning.  This is the classic case of a beach community with growing pains.  It started out as a very modest, very quirky little beach town, and then all the rich folks moved in.  I'm posting a couple pictures of houses on that same street.
 

 

Having tootled around Marin on a Vespa in my formative years, I appreciated this sign in the window of the Taste of the Valley.  For such a short mainstreet, they sure do have a pretty good variety of eateries.  Price Street is the main drag, with casual pizza joints, the CrabShack, fine Italian dining, Honeymoon Cafe, and of course, the Moose Cafe.
 
The actual beach was, meh.  I guess I am spoiled by the beaches all along the coast of San Diego County. 
 
 
Back on the road, it was a pretty quick jaunt up north.  Of course, I did leave at 11 in the morning.  Right outside of San Jose, you can make a choice to get the the North Bay by either taking the 280 going through San Fran and crossing the Golden Gate or taking the 880 through the East Bay and then crossing the Richmond San Rafael Bridge.  What to do??!  I opted for the 880 and wouldn't you know it there was a crash that backed up traffic.  ARRGHHH another traffic jam!  But once I crossed the Richmond San Rafael bridge I started feeling better.
 
The Embassy Suites in San Rafael was the big deal fancy place when it was new.  But now, it does seem a little dingy, the years are starting to show.  But still, can't beat the free booze at the manager's reception and the free made to order breakfast in the morning.
 
Oh, and the rain cleared up.  It's beautiful out there!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment